Captain's Corner & Player ResourcesLake Norman Tennis Association
There’s a NC incentive for NEW PLAYERS, ages 18 – 35. If you fall into this age category and are new to playing in a USTA Adult League and/or a USTA Tournament, you may be eligible to have your registration fee reimbursed. Click the button for more info.
The USTA Adult League Coordinator, Iris Ham, led a training session for new captains. Tim Powell, LNTA Board Member & Adult Committee Liaison, shared helpful tips as an experienced captain. If you missed this training, review the resources on this page, and reach out to Iris if you still have questions.
USTA Captain’s Videos
Check out these videos full of helpful tips designed to make your USTA League Captain experience as easy as possible.
USTA League Rules & Regulations
All players, teams, and local leagues must abide by all USTA rules & regulations. These are categorized by geographic areas: Lake Norman (our local playing area), North Carolina (state), Southern Section (comprised of 9 states: Alabama, Arkansa, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, NC, SC, & Tennessee), and National.
- Refund Policy for LNTA and USTA NC
- 2023 USTA National, Southern and NC Regulations
- 2023 LAKE NORMAN Local League Rules & Regulations
- 2023 Non-National Regulations (i.e. Combo/Tri-Level/NC Singles–leagues that do not advance to National Championships)
- 2023 Southern Combo Regulations
- Inclement Weather Rules
- Coman Tie – Break Procedures
- Scoring Basics
- USTA League Suspension Point System
- USTA League Suspension Point System Q&A
- COVID Protocols for Captains & Players
- 2022 Friend at Court — a handbook of tennis rules & regulations. “The Code” is a section within the handbook that explains rules & match play situations.
- You may purchase the 2023 Friend at Court Handbook HERE from the USTA Pro Shop.
- Remember, USTA league matches are unofficiated.
Players who do not have an NTRP Rating must self–rate in accordance with the General & Experienced Player Guidelines available through TennisLink when registering for a team.
Team & Player League Registration
Your USTA membership must remain active throughout the league in which you have registered. If your renewal date falls during the season, you’ll be notified that your membership needs to be renewed prior to registration.
- Renew My USTA Membership – Click the Renew button on TennisLink
- Captain Guides – contain info on how to handle match days, make-ups, & more — divided into 3 sections: pre-season, regular season, and post season (playoffs & championships)
- Create a New Team Online – the captain registers the team, which generates the team #
- Team Types – Closed, Closed but Seeking Players, or Open
- Player Registration – you will need the team # before registering
What do I use TennisLink for?
- register your team
- view your team’s match schedule
- get opposing captains’ contact info
- see your team roster with player info
- enter / confirm / dispute scores
- view current flight standings
Captains, use the Scorecard Correction form when there’s an error with scores or player names. Once scores have been submitted, only the League Coordinator can make corrections. Deadline for corrections to be made is 2 weeks after match completion. Email the opposing captain, copy Iris (email@example.com), and submit the form. You’ll need the Match ID # (found on the scorecard & schedule).
Racquets & Jackets is a non-advancing, doubles league that is played during the winter. A special, long-sleeved shirt is included with the registration. R & J captains, use the button above to submit your team’s T-shirt order. Learn more about this league on the Racquets & Jackets league page.
Match Scorecard Info & Example
How do you print your blank scorecard? Login to TennisLink, pull up your team’s match schedule, and hover over the match date. Choose PRINT A BLANK SCORECARD.
How do you enter scores? The winning captain logs into TennisLink, hovers over over the match date and chooses ENTER SCORES. You’ll have a final chance to make sure you’ve selected all the correct players and typed in the scores accurately before submitting. *You have 48 hours from when the match is played to enter the scores.
How do you confirm scores? The non-winning captain hovers over the match & selects the CONFIRM SCORES option.
If you need a court for a make-up match at a park/public facility, the League Coordinator will make the reservation. Submit the Make-Up Court Reservation form and provide the original match date, how many courts you need, and the preferred location. If your home facility is a private club, contact the club directly to reserve make-up courts.
Park Facility Captains – Pay Court Fees
If you’re a captain of a public park team, you’ll need to pay court usage fees for the season. Fees are based on the number of courts reserved for each match. An invoice will be emailed to all the park captains, and payment is due within 10 days. Collect from your players. There are (3) ways to pay your team’s court fees:
- Pay the invoice to LNTA using PayPal – use Bookkeeper@lnta.org
- Pay the invoice – Mail a check to: LNTA Bookkeeper, PO BOX 651 Cornelius, NC 28031 (Please write the team & invoice # on the check).
- Submit payment in advance of receiving the invoice – use either method above. Court fee amounts are listed in the Lake Norman Regulations.
iPhone App for USTA League Tennis allows you to view match schedules, track rosters and stats, record scores, find an NTRP rating, and more. Use the landscape view to see match locations.
The Team Management Tool found on Tennislink has useful features for captains. Schedule team practices, view player availability & generate lineups. It’s free and makes communication more efficient. To use the Team Management Tool, you must first be signed into your USTA account. Once on your personalized page, select “Team Management” under My Quick Links.
- Tennis Link Management Tool – Tutorial
- Tennis Management Tool – Player Guide
- Team Management Tool – Captain’s Perspective
USTA league matches are assigned to various court locations around the Lake Norman area. Be sure to consult your team’s match schedule on Tennislink to verify the locations of all your matches.
Click here to find court locations, so you can get your team to the match on time!
Looking for a team?
After reviewing to see the types, age divisions, and days of play, please fill out our Find a Team form so Iris can help you get on a team.